Use the Make Fields tool to create fields from lines of a text file.
- Choose input and output files. See Force ANSI / Remove BOM.
As a visual aid, up to the first 9 lines of the input file are displayed in the Input Top area.
- Enter the number of fields you wish to create in the Fields Required box.
- Click the Show button.
- Enter start and end column positions in the Column boxes.
- Click the Quote button or select one or more of the Quote Checkbox controls.
When a Quote Checkbox is selected, the field will be quoted using the quotation marks selected in the
Quotes drop-down control.
The Quote button's text toggles between Quote and Unquote.
- Select the Trim Fields control.
Leading and trailing spaces are removed from each field when the Trim Fields control is selected.
- Change the output field delimiter in the Delimiter box.
When blank, a comma is used as the default delimiter.
- Change the quotation marks used to surround quoted fields using the Quotes drop-down control.
- Select the Enclosed control.
When the Enclosed control is selected, the new fields are created within the chosen
Enclosed By characters.
- Enter a table name in the Table Name box.
- Click the Check button.
As a visual aid, the result of your chosen settings when applied to the lines displayed in the Input Top
area are displayed in the Output Top area.
- Change the output file format using the Save As controls.
- Click OK to create the output file.