Truncating and Transferring Folders
For each sub-folder of a user-specified source folder, the Truncate and Transfer tool:
- Creates 2 new truncated folder names by splitting the source sub-folder name using a user-supplied character sequence.
- A new folder using the left-most truncated part. If a folder with this name has already been
created, this action is not performed.
- A new sub-folder within the left-most-named folder using the right-most truncated part.
- Transfers all of the files from the source sub-folder to the new right-most-named sub-folder.
The Truncate and Transfer tool requires the following condition to be met
prior to the tool's use:
- The name of each source sub-folder must contain the same sequence of characters.
This sequence of characters will be used to split the source sub-folder names.
- The truncated part of the source sub-folder name that precedes the character sequence (the left-most part)
will be used to create a first-level sub-folder (if it does not already exist) in the destination folder.
- The truncated part of the source sub-folder name that succeeds the character sequence (the right-most part)
will be used to create a new sub-folder within the left-most-named destination sub-folder.
- Select the Truncate and Transfer checkbox.
- Choose a source folder containing sub-folders.
The first-level sub-folders of the source folder will be truncated and transferred, not the source folder itself.
A source folder can be chosen by browsing to it using the folder tree on the left-hand side of the screen or by
clicking the Transfer From button.
- Choose the destination folder.
The destination folder is chosen by clicking the Transfer To button and is the folder
into which all new folders will be created and files transferred.
- Enter the sequence of characters to be used to truncate the source sub-folders in the
Truncate from Start of box.
The Check button remains disabled until a character sequence that exists
in all of the source sub-folders is entered.
- Select the Copy or Move control.
- Click the Check button.
If the check succeeds, the New Folders area displays the folder names that are to be
created. It is into these folders that sub-folders, named using the right-most truncated part and
containing the transferred files, will be created.
During checking, the Truncate and Transfer tool:
- Will report if there is insufficient free disk space.
- Click OK to truncate the folders and transfer the files.
In the example above, the sequence of characters entered into the Truncate from Start of box was
' - ' (space, hyphen, space). The new folder named Abba will be created with four sub-folders:
Abba, Super Trouper, Voulez Vous and
Waterloo. Files will be transferred into each of these sub-folders from the appropriate source
The image below shows part of the resultant new folder structure with the newly created folder,
Brian Setzer, selected.